> What to do after an automobile accident
What to do after an automobile accident
What to do if you have an automobile accident:
- Determine if there are injuries and call 911 for medical assistance if needed.
- Move your vehicle safely off the roadway if possible. Call the police to report the accident. Ask the investigating officer for a copy of the driver exchange information form. Additionally it will be helpful for us to process your claim if you obtain a copy of the police report.
- Make written details of the incident. If safe to do so, use your cell phone to photograph the accident scene and damages to the vehicles.
- Do not admit fault or liability, as this can be complex in nature. Discuss the accident only with the police and your Sterling Insurance claim representative.
- If possible, at the scene, exchange names, phone numbers and license numbers of all the drivers, passengers and witnesses to the accident, including pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. Always write down the make, model and license plate numbers of the other vehicles. Ask all drivers for their insurance company information such as name of company (not name of agent) and policy number.
- If your vehicle is towed, remove valuable personal property beforehand and obtain the contact information as to where your vehicle will be located for our inspection.